After a first date comes a second, and it was this easy blueberry muffin recipe that guaranteed a third.
This blueberry muffin recipe was the first thing we cooked when we shared a kitchen on our second date and we have to profess that it is probably the best blueberry muffin recipe we have tried. The addition of the crumble and infused blueberry jam takes the muffins from lunchbox calibre to a gourmet cafe style treat.
We continued to bond over the muffins, they made a delicious breakfast (made even better coupled with homemade coffee and an episode or two of Californication) or a yummy mid morning snack. You might also received an added dose of nostalgia if you are sent to work with your muffin wrapped and told explicitly to eat if for morning tea (remember when a baked good for recess at school made your day?)
Best Blueberry Muffin Recipe
Most blueberry muffins recipes we have tried produce a muffin that is lacking in flavour or sweetness. The blueberries and the bleueberry jam with crumble on top counteract these issues. This delicious blueberry muffin recipe is very versatile and the blueberries could be substituted for whatever fruit is in season. Bananas or raspberries could work just as well. Try out best blueberry muffin recipe and see for yourself! Let us know what you think as we would love to hear.
PS – If you would like to keep updated with future recipes by us, please ‘like’ our Facebook Page.
– Alex and Rani
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ¾ cup of white sugar
- ½ tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (you can use frozen blueberries if you wish. Don't thaw the blueberries before added. keep them frozen until just ready to add to the mixture)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅓ plain flour
- ¼ cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1½ tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp sugar
- Bring 1 cup of blueberries and 1 teaspoon of sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the berries, stirring with a spoon break some of the berries open, stir frequently until mixture is thickened.
- Transfer to small bowl and cool to room temperature for around 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Grease muffin cups or line with muffin cases
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder by sifting together over a large bowl
- Place the melted butter into a 1 cup measuring cup or a small bowl
- Add the egg and the milk to the melted butter
- Add the melted butter mixture to the flour mixture and mix together lightly.
- Fold in the blueberries until just combined
- Fill muffin cases right to the top and sprinkle with the crumb mixture.
- Add together the sugar,flour,butter and cinnamon
Awww, what a lovely story!
That would certainly be my dream date #2, I’m envious that you’ve found yourself such a wonderful man! I might just have to try this trick if I ever stumble upon a sweet guy for myself.
And they look absolutely delicious. I’ve never tried puting jam and crumbles on top but it sounds like a wonderful idea. I wonder if it would taste as good with strawberries?
Oh and beautiful pictures too!
Thanks for your lovely message Eve! He is rather wonderful.
I think strawberries would work really well in this recipe. You could also add some white chocolate chips to the crumble which would go wonderfully with the strawberries, almost like strawberries and cream!
We also have a recipe for an apple and berry crumble which you might like, keep an eye out for it and let us know what you think!
This recipe looks delicious! However, it doesn’t state how long it should be cooked for?
I can’t wait to try it out 🙂
The cooking time is 25 minutes. Hope you enjoy!
Blueberries/crumb topping look delicious. Beautifully capture- nice showing of texture and layout. 🙂
Thanks Tina for the kind words 🙂
Nice recipe 🙂 I love blueberry muffins…
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for stopping by Nat! I love blueberry muffins too. Just ask Rani 😉 – Alex
Oh thank you! I were looking for some cookie recipe for tommorow birthday party and these blueberries muffins will be great. I hope I won’t spoil it 😀 It looks delicious, well done :))
You’re welcome! Hope the muffins came out well. They’re a favourite of ours 🙂
Looks lovely but when do you add in the jam and how?
Hi Chris! We suggest adding the jam on top of the muffins and swirling them with a tooth pick or fork at the opt of the muffin before adding the crumble on top. Enjoy!
These are by far the best blueberry muffins I have ever made or had. Superb!
Glad you enjoyed Danielle! 🙂
Blueberry muffins are my favorite! And lovely shots – that first photo is gorgeous.
Ours too! Glad you liked 🙂
These muffins look amazing! I love blueberries and love jam – these are perfect for me!
Glad you liked Patricia! 🙂
For the crumble should I use my finger to mix the flour and butter together? I’ve made this recipe many times but I am always wondering. Thanks! I love this recipe!
Yes use your finger tips to rub the crumble ingredients together really carefully. You may get sore hands but keep going and it will eventually come together:)