For some time now I’ve oozed over the melting moments at my favourite cafe near work. It’s a lovely little place called Cafe Bisqui that always has a fresh selection of melting moments every morning and some of the best coffee on the Exhibition Street end of Melbourne. A must for anyone visiting Melbourne and caught in that end of the city.
Feeling slightly challenged I set off to make passionfruit melting moments this weekend to prove my naysayer and partner in crime (read – Rani) wrong. She was right though. They were a lot more fiddly than I’d initially thought as I confidently purchased the ingredients the night before. Running back and forth from the camera with icing sugar all over my hands made things interesting and messy but I got there eventually. The biscuits may not be consistent and as perfect as the melting moments my favourite cafe near work makes every morning but that adds character right? Looks aside they taste amazing and there’s less than a handfull remaining.
- 125g butter softened
- ⅓ cup corn flour
- ¼ cup pure icing sugar
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 2 tsp of finely grated lemon zest
- 60g butter
- 1 cup pure icing sugar
- 1 passionfruit
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 160c degrees or there abouts
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. We found using two baking trays rather than one allows you to lay your biscuits with plenty of room in between
- Using an electric mixer, begin by mixing the softened butter until creamy.
- Combine your flour, corn flour, icing sugar and lemon rind. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined and smooth.
- With a tea-spoon, scoop small portions of the mixture and roll this in your hand into a small ball. Place the small ball onto your lined baking tray and use a corn flour dusted fork to gently flatten and imprint the ball. This will form your biscuit halves. Place these with 2-3 cm gaps in between.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven) or until lightly brown on top and cooked through. Set aside to lightly cool.
- Using an electric mixer. beat the softened butter until creamy and slowly add icing sugar, passionfruit pulp and lemon juice until smooth and well combined.
- At this point you can either spoon the mixture onto the cooled biscuit halves or use a piping bag. We used a piping bag for half the biscuits but changed to a spoon midway through. Each way works well. Using this technique, apply a small amount of the filling onto the biscuit half and sandwich another biscuit onto the covered biscuit.